Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Workshop preparation

After looking for two months and finding a decent garage on a second property of my neighbor, one month before the car arrived, he tells me that he can't give me the garage for several reasons and he's offering me a smaller garage for the same price directly across my home.
Due to the reason that I usually keep my word and don't like people who don't and don't usually deal with such, I decided not to go for this one and to look for something different and bigger for less money.
Another reason was, that the garage he offered me only had two neon lights installed and no electrical plug. Also, after parking the car in it, I wouldn't have any space left for storage, working or anything else than getting in and out of the car. No thanks neighbor, not this time.

In the meantime, I decided to make my own custom working desks which will suit my height and usage. They are made of 40x40x2 profiled steel and made to be durable and withhold a lots of stress. Haven't decided yet what to use for the upper plate but I guess it's going to be a bonded wood plate made of 3 layers and covered with a stainless steel plate (if the budged allows me). The end dimensions will be 150cm x 80cm x (100-110cm adjustable height). Maybe someday I will add some drawers to it, but I'm not sure about this


I also bought some storage shelves which were little rusty, but I decided to give them a sandblasting treatment and to spray them grey. Done it now, will never do it again. The time used for this was approx. 4 days and the costs were within tolerances, but in future i will buy a new, cheap shelf and that's it! Definitely too much effort for this.





Also, I thought that since the car has Öhlins C-Ring suspension that it would be a good idea to build a ramp for all 4 tires in order to be able to lift it up correctly and to put the jack stands underneath. The initial plan was to have a high stands to be able to work underneath the car since i wasn't planning on getting a lifting ramp. Fortunately for me, the workshop I have found has an inspection pit so i guess with this and jack stands, i should be covered. Unfortunately, I have no pictures at the moment.

Speaking of jack stands, I also thought, since I finally wanted to learn welding correctly because I have some plans for the car and will need to do it more often, so I decided to make my own stands. Pictures following after I finish them!

After receiving of the garage key, I decided to make some improvements and adjustments.  I went out and bought one neon light and installed it to see how it will work and if it's giving me enough light for working on the car. For me the outcome was pretty satisfying and so i will buy another three for the new electrical installation.

 
Wolfgang, my new landlord also decided to strip down all the cables and installation since it is a very old one and give it a new touch! For this reason I have made a plan how I want my lightning system to be and also where I want to have my electrical plugs and switches positioned. I hope he will accept it and do the installation my way :)

Also, LiZ was very kind to get into the inspection pit and get it cleaned a little bit. The walls were full with fuel and some other fluids. It was stinky and disgusting to go into the pit. Now it looks a little bit cleaner, but I guess my high-pressure-cleaner will take care of this! Also we have removed the stairs from the pits and taken it with us in order to get them cleaned properly and maybe get the rust removed and resprayed again. After the removal we have finally found out that "the device" which was hiding underneath was a oil tank for which saves the removed engine oil. It seems to be empty, so we will get it out asap and give it a cleaning and see if it can be used or not.




As it can be seen from the pictures, the floor is pretty disgusting at the moment. Even with a really good and hard broom it was impossible to get it cleaned. I think the next step will include the usage of a shovel or some kind of a scraper.

And finally, I have managed to remove all the stuff from the LiZs grandfather loft and put it into it's new home. A lot of stuff, I can tell You this!



A lots of stuff are even missing on those pictures!

Cheers!
RoB

No comments:

Post a Comment