Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ganador mirror repair and cleaning part 2

By looking at the mirror housing in detail I wasn't really satisfied by the looks. It was very dirty and I wanted to have it really clean. So I looked it up on google and found a perfect page (Mirror disassembly) on how to completely disassemble the mirror. I've also found a video which showed me how to correctly get the glass out of the housing (Starting at 1:11 Mirror disassembly). Pretty easy I thought and decided to do so with the second mirror.

What I've found there is that again, one of this plastic/rubber screws was broken and couldn't work.


So, at first I started repairing this things. I first applied this super glue to keep the threaded plastic standing and then I went on with the plastic molding. I did this for both mirrors in the same way.







The plastic molding keeps those things tight and at the same time it assures that they stay flexible in the way they should be. If You want do it even more properly, I would drill a very small hole in the part which is located on the back of the mirror and the same sized hole in the threaded part. I would then apply some super glue and insert a wire which would keep those things together. And then off course, I would apply the same plastic molded stuff around both to ensure they stay together and still stay flexible! I guess this fixed saved me a lot of money since the new mirrors are very expensive and buying used ones was not an option because I knew that it has to be a simple repair!

My next step was to disassemble the complete housing and to give it a proper washing treatment.
With the exception of the electrical unit, which I washed manually by hand, I've put everything into the dish washing machine. In this way I wanted to make sure that all the paint which was inside the housing and which was not applied properly will be removed, as well as give it a nice touch from the outside. The other positive side of this was that the dirt from the last few years was easily removed.


The assembly was a little bit complicated with the springs which need to be hooked into the metal sheet, but with a little help of 2 additional hands, it was all done within a few minutes.

I also added some window sealing tape to the housing to prevent the mirror rubbing to the door which apparently went wrong with the original sealing. 






I know I know, "eeehhhhh, those are white". Yes, they are, because I couldn't find any black window sealing tape but I really don't care. You cannot even spot it if you don't look very close.


Both doors are scratched at the exact same place. I will have this spot repaired after the homologation process is done.



That's it with the mirrors for the moment. Maybe, since those are sprayed really really badly, someday I will decide to remove them again, disassemble, sand blast and respray again in a proper way!

No comments:

Post a Comment