Sunday, July 7, 2013

Homologation preparation - Fog light finishing

After the first fitment and testing on the car, I wasn't quite happy about the reflector angle, so I decided to go through the process again, before i close the housing.
So in order to get the correct angle I have added this plastic spacers to the housing. Just apply some hot melted  plastic (not in the pictures) to the top in order to mold it together to the PCB. Also don't forget to mold it together to the bottom - just in case :)

Before:
 After:


Afterwards, I have pit the whole housing into the oven again. It was approx. 3-4 minutes at 100 °C in order to soften the original sealing of the complete housing. Worked fine. Before putting everything back together, I also added some Loctite 5910 quick gasket  as an addition to the original gasket just to be sure that it will really be sealed.
After this treatment, quick run into the workshop to apply some pressure to the 2 parts to keep them together tight. Take care when doing this because the see through part of the light probably breaks very easily. I was lucky enough not to break anything.




I gave the cooldown process some time since I was in no rush and also had something else to do  so this was the final product. Looks very cool, is bright enough and is my new, very cheap fog light :)




As a next step I've disassembled the original connector for the reverse light (on the wiring loom side) in order to be able to see what pins are used for it. Since these are the standard pins which one can get from Tyco, I decided to have a look at work if we have some of these. The chances are good to have this in spare.


After this, I wrapped the open cable ends and sealed them, since I'm not going to use them any more.



The next step is to organize the right pins for the connector, finish the cable installation and install the switch for the fog light.

No comments:

Post a Comment