Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Complete engine restauration

As I work for a company which is testing and measuring engines, I wanted to measure all important bushings and the cylinders.

We found out that the cylinders were slightly out of roundness and out of taper so this was a reason enough why now I'm actually going to rebore and rehone the engine to the next standard size.
Also I have decided, since I'm doing this, I will go with forged pistons and connecting rods as I really don't want to open the engine again next year and buy all the gaskets again!

Another issue were the exhaust valve guides which were not very good either. Those were not cylindrical any more and became conical with the time (from the top to the bottom). So these, together with the new valve seats are going to be inserted into the head.

Oh yes, and the engine is now very clean. It took me about 6 hours to do this and after some machine washing it looked wonderful! The same for the cylinder head! Not like new, but nearly!

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment